Ads 468x60px

Monday, June 24, 2013

NICOLE'S REVIEW: Poison by Bridget Zinn

Title: Poison
Author: Bridget Zinn
Format Acquired: Hardcover
Publication Date: March 20 2013
Publishing House: Disney Hyperion
ISBN: 9781423139935
Source of Copy: Purchased from Fully Booked

Summary:

Sixteen-year-old Kyra, a highly skilled potions master, is the only on who knows that her kingdom is on the verge of destruction - which means she is the only one who can save it. With no other choice, Kyra decides to do what she does best: poison the kingdom's future ruler, who also happens to be her best friend.

But, for the first time ever, her poisoned dart misses.

Now, a fugitive instead of a hero, Kyra is caught in a game of hide-and-seek with the King's Army and her potioner ex-boyfriend, Hal. At least she's not alone. She's armed with her vital potions, a too-cute piglet, and Fred, the charming adventurer she can't stop thinking about. Kyra is determined to get herself a second chance (at murder), but will she be able to find and defeat the princess before Hal and the army find her?


(Image and information courtesy of Goodreads; Summary lifted from actual book)

Review:

I'm not exactly sure what possessed me to read this book as I was initially leery of the blurb. Okay, truthfully speaking it wasn't the blurb at all, it was the idea of her sidekick being a piglet.  Yes, I was afraid of a piglet. But now that I have finished the book I can definitely say that I have no regrets whatsoever. It was awesome. It also read like a Disney movie - a strong heroine, lots of magic and a handsome, charismatic ruffian to help our heroine on her journey. 

Kyra's attempt to assassinate the princess - who also happens to be her best friend - did not go as planned. Now she's on the run from the King's Army and her ex-boyfriend with nothing more but her potions and a piglet named Rosie. Another problem of hers is that she still has to find a way to kill the princess because in Kyra's visions, she is tied to the destruction of their kingdom. With the help of swoon-worthy adventurer Fred and his wolf-dog, Kyra has to find the princess and finish what she started.

Poison is a wonderful, light-hearted read with characters that one can't help but fall in love with. Kyra is the capable, headstrong heroine who is on a mission to save her kingdom and Fred is the amusing adventurer who tags along. The romance between them was so darn sweet and adorable and I loved seeing Kyra open up her heart to Fred and the little piglet, Rosie. 

Another one of my assumptions about this book was that Poison would be predictable - highly amusing, undeniably entertaining but predictable. I was wrong. I thoroughly enjoyed the twists and turns Poison threw at me and how the author managed to blend the romance into the story. It wasn't much but it was enough to satiate my craving and I loved how natural it felt. There are a few surprises at the end which I really did not expect and they did nothing more but add to my adoration for the book.

Obviously I recommend this book. If you're on the lookout for a fun, light-hearted, humorous adventure with unexpected twists and turns and sweet romance blended in for fun, look no further. Did I mention that Kyra's a potions master? She brews poisons for a living and is pretty hardcore. Not exactly something you want to miss out on.

Rating:

                         

4 comments:

  1. Great review! I've been eyeing this book for a while, but I did not know whether it was good or not. Now I will definitely read it:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! This book was not what I expected. No regrets. :)

      Delete
  2. yay for the review! I guess I'm gonna have to get this book after all!

    Amber @Paradise of Pages

    ReplyDelete