Ads 468x60px

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

NICOLE'S REVIEW: Origin by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Title: Origin
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Format Acquired: Paperback
Publication Date: August 27 2013
Publishing House: Entangled Publishing
ISBN: 9781622660759
Source of Copy: Fully Booked

Summary:


Daemon will do anything to get Katy back.

After the successful but disastrous raid on Mount Weather, he's facing the impossible. Katy is gone. Taken. Everything become sabout finding her. Taking out anyone who stands in the way? Done. Burning down the whole world to save her? Gladly. Exposing his alien race to the world? With pleasure.


All Katy can do is survive.

Surrounded by enemies, the only way she can come out of this is to adapt. After all, there are sides of Daedalus that don't seem entirely crazy, but the group's goals are frightening and the truths they speak even more disturbing. Who are the real bad guys? Daedalus? Mankind? Or the Luxen?

Together, they can face anything.

But the most dangerous foe has been there all along and when the truths are exposed and the lies come crumbling down, which side will Daemon and Katy be standing on? And will they even be together?

(Image and information courtesy of Goodreads; Summary lifted from actual book)

Review:

Origin is the fourth book in the Lux Series. In case you haven't read the first three books, you can find reviews for them here. Obsidian (Lux#1) Onyx (Lux #2) and Opal (Lux #3). I suggest that for those who still haven't read the last few books refrain from reading this review but I'll do my best to keep things non-spoilery.

Origin is different from the first three books because now we get to see inside Daemon's head. It features the alternating POVs of Daemon and Katy. While it's an interesting experience, being inside Daemon's head is nothing too exciting. He's like your typical teenage boy except he's an alien, he has powers and he's willing to do some pretty drastic things to get his little kitten back. I'm not surprised really, given the way he's so protective of her.

I will admit to actually liking Katy's character arc because I found her too whiny and too fixated on Daemon in Obsidian. But now? It's obvious that she's matured some and has changed a whole lot. She goes through a lot of excruciating things in this book and I actually find myself rooting for her now. In the past few books I was something of an observer, I had that whole whatever-happens-happens thing going on and I wasn't too invested in the series but now I find myself cheering for Katy. I wanted her to have her happily ever after you know?

A lot more exciting things happen in this book. Katy and Daemon lose a few friends, gain more allies, get betrayed and discover a new race. Not necessarily in that order. A lot of other things happen but I'll just keep my mouth shut about it and can I just take a moment to warn you guys that this book also has a cliffhanger? ANOTHER CLIFFHANGER. Armentrout and her cliffhangers. I wasn't too happy when I read the ending because I thought that it could have ended better but alright. I'll take it.

Obviously I'm looking forward to the next book. With the way this ended?? Yeah. Goodreads says it'll be out 2014 so I've got a while to wait.


Rating:

    

                         

No comments:

Post a Comment