Ads 468x60px

Wednesday, October 16, 2013

NICOLE'S REVIEW: Vengeance Bound by Justina Ireland

Title: Vengeance Bound
Author: Justina Ireland
Format Acquired: Hardcover
Publication Date: April 2 2013
Publishing House: Simon & Schuster
ISBN: 9781442444621
Source of Copy: Fully Booked

Summary:

Revenge is not always sweet.

Amelie Ainsworth had no choice. She prayed for help. The Furies were the ones to answer her call.

She owes Them her life.

But They are too powerful. Amelie can no longer justify giving in to Their dark urges.

Can she ever be normal with Them in her head?

Starting fresh at yet another school, Amelie meets new people. Good people like Niko who could offer her something more than vengeance.

But They are not finished with Amelie and They do no handle rejection well.


(Image and information courtesy of Goodreads; Summary lifted from actual book)

Review:

I should have known to be wary of  book that's being touted as "The Goddess Test meets Dexter". I never really hit it off with the Goddess Test but I decided that that shouldn't be reason for me to shy away from this book.

When Amelie cries out for vengeance, she never really expected an answer. Especially not from the mythical Greek Furies with their bloodlust and thirst for revenge. A number of kills later and her stint at a mental facility, Amelie finds herself wondering if she's truly capable of controlling the Furies or will she soon crumble to their needs of death and destruction one human soul at a time.

One thing I was really looking forward to was the prospect of blood and gore. I mean sharing your mind and being a conduit for the Furies has got to be an interesting experience despite the little mishaps and all that. But despite the promising concept and the infusion of Greek mythology I found this book sadly lacking.

Amelie or Cory as she's called has been through a lot, crazy men locking her in a basement, loony doctors and a crazy friend who's way too clingy and stalkerish. I mean I think Amelie would be an interesting character if only I could connect with her. Which I couldn't. The story lacked characterization which didn't please me at all. The secondary characters were like stiff props meant to fill a certain role; the mean girl, the pothead friend, the crazy best friend and so on. They never felt real to me.

As for the romance...well Amelie's infatuated with Niko from the get-go and their romance is fast paced and instant. I would've liked to see a little more romance or passion and some sparks or maybe fireworks but I just couldn't feel a thing. I mean sure, Niko's a good boy, a little worse for wear but a good boy. Aside from that? Nothing. 

I would have liked more action, more vengeance and a whole lot more blood. And maybe a better resolution to the story because that ending felt a little bit too abrupt. 

Now if you're a fan of Greek myth and you like your stories jam packed with ancient lore and whatnot, this one isn't for you. But if you're looking for a fast paced read that's a little violent and involves the Greek Furies then yes, you could always pick this one up.


Rating:


      
                        





No comments:

Post a Comment